Hip Hop Dance in your Classroom
This professional learning program will introduce hip hop dance into the classroom space as a tool to explore thematic content and assess student understanding. Participants will experience hip hop dance, as an opportunity to have fun, reflect, discuss, and analyze creative teaching strategies. Activities such as the story circle exercise and choreography created from thematic content will support self and social awareness. The discussion and dance-based activities are designed to offer opportunities for participants to recognize employ hip hop dance, while also identifying their own feelings and the feelings of other individuals.
In-Person or Virtual
- Arts Specialists
- experience hip hop dance warmup and basic choreographic phrases.
- co-creating choreography in breakout groups.
- Non-movement activities will include pedagogical discussion and a ‘Story Circle’ exercise (a tool designed to help communities understand their collective feelings and decide upon an artistic theme).
- learn how to assess (and encourage students to self-assess) the artistic process and the quality of movement and choreography.
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Creating; Anchor Standard 1: Conceptualizing & Generating Ideas
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Responding; Anchor Standard 7:
- Perceiving and Analyzing Products
- Social Emotional Learning
Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- Standard 4: Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment
Price & Info
Workshop Cost per Day: $375 (90 minute session) $600 (3 hour session) $1200 (6 hour session)
Travel Fee: $75 per day (virtual and on-demand programs are not charged for travel)
Program Length: up to 6 hrs.
Workshop Minimum # of Days: 1-2
Appropriate For Grade(s): Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Dance & Movement