Become a Young Audiences Roster Artist
Thank you for your interest in Young Audiences
If you would like to become a YA roster artist, please read the information below, fill out our standard application, and submit it along with the appropriate support materials. If we feel your skills match our current needs, we will contact you at that time. New artists are reviewed throughout the year, and all applications will be kept on file.
Young Audiences New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania promotes and develops programs that are
Child-Centered | Measurably Effective | Outcomes-Driven
Young Audiences Signature Core Services
Young Audiences New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania is one of more than 30 affiliates of Young Audiences Inc. who work nationwide offering Signature Core Services, which include assemblies/performances, workshops/residencies, and professional development programs.
The Signature Core Services programs of Young Audiences contain the following Four Essential Elements:
- Experience: A signature program includes an experience with the art form delivered by professional artists and gives participants the opportunity to interact with the work(s) of art itself. Experiences inspire, engage and encourage interest and exploration in the arts and learning.
- Understand: A signature program illuminates the art form through its cultural context, creative processes, and/or the role of the artist and artistic expression.
- Create: A signature program engages participants in the process of creating and empowers them to make artistic choices.
- Connect: A signature program enables and encourages participants to link program content to personal experiences, other academic learning, and/or life skill development.
We are interested in workshops, residencies, and performances that are of the highest artistic quality and meet the needs of students by delivering art and information in the most effective way. We believe our unique method of delivery, through our four signature elements, empowers children to own their experiences through a gradual transfer of responsibility.
YA Teaching Artist Criteria
Young Audiences is looking for professional artists who demonstrate the following:
- Artistic excellence in their chosen field.
- Experience with in‐school programming.
- Excellent classroom communication skills, whether on stage or in the classroom.
- A well‐planned arts program that connects to an age‐appropriate student audience.
- A friendly, professional, and highly responsible demeanor with a willingness to respond quickly to all communications from Young Audiences.
- A willingness to submit to yearly background checks, including an FBI fingerprint check, a child abuse check, and a criminal background check.
- A willingness to attend Young Audiences artists information sessions.
Young Audiences teaching artists are qualified, professional artists who have been selected after a rigorous application and audition/interview process. They are selected for both the quality of their artistry and the educational content of their programs. They are offered ongoing professional development opportunities at YA as part of the YAI national initiative and with our partners in the NJ and PA Arts Education field. In addition to their regular in-school programs for students, many of our artists also offer after-school programs for students and/or professional development workshops for teachers.
If You Are Interested in Becoming a Young Audiences Roster Artist
Artist applications are reviewed on a rolling basis as they are submitted. You will be contacted for a further interview or audition if we feel your program matches our current needs. All teaching artists work with Young Audiences as independent contractors. Young Audiences is an Equal Opportunity Employer.