Join the YA Team as our Senior Director of Educational Marketing and Sales!
Young Audiences seeks a results-oriented, collaborative, and creative educational marketing professional to advance YA’s work and to grow earned income.
The Senior Director of Educational Marketing and Sales develops and delivers educational marketing and sales strategies in collaboration with YA staff, and with integration of school priorities and timelines, educational trends, and school needs during this period of recovery from Covid school closures and beyond. The Senior Director of Educational Marketing and Sales has an ability to generate sales and marketing strategies that are innovative, data-driven, timely and result in revenue generation.
The Senior Director reports to the President & CEO and is part of the leadership team, contributing to organizational strategy and vision. The Senior Director supervises a newly structured 4-person team focused on school client services, artist services and technology. The Senior Director will work collaboratively with YA education staff in order to amplify YA’s strengths in curriculum, professional learning and school climate. An inherent desire to positively impact students and school communities through teaching artist work is essential in this role.
Young Audiences is anticipating a 3-5 year recovery from Covid 19 school closures, which reduced earned income by approximately 75% in the 2020-2021 school year. Simultaneously, YA has built strength and capacity in virtual delivery, and in providing arts-based professional learning in inclusive teaching, SEL, anti-racism, and culturally responsive arts education. YA program assessments have shown research-based gains in student engagement and attendance. There are new opportunities to market YA and emphasize the impact on students and schools. The Senior Director is offered a unique opportunity to both rebuild existing business and develop strategies for growth in new areas.
Arts Education Marketing and Promotion (85%)
The Senior Director of Educational Marketing and Sales’ cohesive and comprehensive approach will be defined by institutional history, current trends, forecasting for future growth, and an understanding of the educational needs borne of Covid 19 and the need for racial justice. Key strategies and responsibilities are listed below.
- Lead and oversee conceptualization, creation, printing and distribution of YA print materials, which may include annual program guide, postcards, and other branded materials.
- Support VP of Institutional Advancement with creation, and distribution of Annual Report.
- Create print ads as needed.
- Oversee freelance graphic designers, printers and mailing houses, as needed.
- Create and oversee all email marketing campaigns and schedules
- Oversee freelance social media/email marketing consultants.
- Oversee website content updates in collaboration with technology staff.
- With support from technology staff, oversee implementation of website design, functionality, and SEO to increase traffic and capture leads.
- Oversee campaign management of Google AdWords account with outside vendor.
- Manage creative process and scheduling of digital ads.
- Complete accessibility audit of website and implement necessary modifications
- Lead and oversee YA’s social media content and engagement (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Delve into analytics and stats to determine the most engaging strategies that amplify YA’s message and brand.
Photography & Video Production
- Oversee freelance photography and video production for marketing, and development purposes.
- Plan and implement YA annual artist showcase (virtual or in person), which previews YA programs for school partners.
- Participate in planning and coordination of events including retreats, exhibitions, and conferences.
- Deliver presentations at conferences and other convenings as needed
Public Relations and Advocacy: (5%)
- Create and distribute press releases; pitch news stories when possible.
- Monitor, share and archive all YA related press hits
- Spearhead special efforts related to advocacy for arts funding and legislation.
- Manage annual awards (NJ Governor’s Awards in Arts Education, YA Arts Champion Awards)
- Liaise with YA Board of Trustees’ Advocacy Working Group, and full board as needed.
Contribute to YA Initiatives (10%)
- Participate in organization-wide efforts to assess quality and impact of programming.
- Participate in Young Audiences’ ongoing efforts to improve in relation to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access, according to YA’s Arts United Plan.
- Participate in Young Audiences’ fundraising events and other initiatives as needed.
- 5+ years experience in arts education or educational marketing, with a record of growth in reach or impact
- 2+ years experience supervising a team
- Ability to activate and galvanize a committed team to achieve earned income goals
- Success integrating anti-bias, anti-oppression, anti-racist practices into every aspect of engagement and marketing. Learn more about YA’s commitments to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access
- Skill with synthesizing data (Google Analytics, Facebook Analytics, YA’s Salesforce database, email campaign stats, etc.)
- Ability to maintain connections to policies and developments in the educational environment, and reflecting these developments in marketing strategies
- Manage the work within budget, using results to drive decision-making
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively—through written, digital and verbal means—including writing marketing copy, customer service scripts, press releases and social media content.
- Strong organizational skills to track progress on multiple initiatives, achieve deadline specific targets which ladder up to long-term strategy and goals
Compensation and Benefits
- 40 Hours/Week: Full Time Exempt Position
- Salary Range: low $80’s
- YA offers a benefits package including: 401K with employer match, medical benefits, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, and life insurance.
- YA offers a flexible and supportive work environment where creative collaboration and shared learning are highly valued.
YA is primarily working remotely at this time, with plans to assess the return to in-person work–both in our Princeton office and in schools–in late September. When safety guidelines allow in-school visits, the ability to travel to schools and events within our service region of New Jersey and Eastern PA is required. Mileage is reimbursed.
Young Audiences New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome employees and prospective employees without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Candidates should submit a cover letter expressing their interest, work samples, and resume to Michele Russo, President & CEO, by email to: [email protected] with the subject line Senior Director of Educational Marketing and Sales. No phone calls please. Application Deadline: September 3, 2021