Join Team YA as our Artists in Education Program Administrator!
ABOUT YOUNG AUDIENCES
Young Audiences New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania’s (YA) mission is to inspire young people and expand their learning through the arts. We envision a future in which all students in the region have the opportunity to engage in quality arts learning that nurtures creativity, cultural awareness, and the development of critical thinking and learning skills.
Since its founding in 1973, YA has grown into the region’s largest and most comprehensive arts in education organization. Last year, YA presented programs to over 360,000 students and teachers in over 500 schools throughout NJ and Eastern PA.
Young Audiences values and embraces diversity in all ways. We strive to remove the barriers to arts participation. Our goal is to reach every child in our region with the arts, through the work of our team of staff, teaching artists, trustees and volunteers.
Position: Artists in Education Program Administrator
Hours: Full-time, benefits eligible
Application Deadline: April 6
Start Date: May 7
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate to administer and support the Artists In Education Residency Grant Program (AIE). This program is carried out through a partnership between Young Audiences and the New Jersey State Council on the Arts. The AIE program provides long- term artist residencies (20+ days) in schools across the state. More information about the program can be found at www.njaie.org.
The AIE Administrator implements the program, reports to the Co-Directors at Young Audiences and the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, and works closely with the program staff from the partner organizations: Appel Farm, Morris Arts and Young Audiences. Because of the many partners involved in the program, strong organizational, communication (both verbal and written), and collaboration skills are essential.
The AIE program is currently piloting program adjustments to create more sustainable impacts on participating schools. The AIE Administrator will be responsible for facilitating and overseeing the implementation of program adjustments over the course of 2-3 years, based on the work to date and feedback from two schools involved in the pilot.
A successful candidate has a positive track record of project management, adhering to budgetary constraints and deadlines. A successful candidate works well within a formal grants application and panel review process required for this state-funded program. Candidate is self- directed and able to work efficiently with minimal supervision, monitoring program activities and goals, and communicating with stakeholders as needed.
The AIE Administrator must understand arts education—both how arts are currently integrated in schools and how professional teaching artists complement school programs and improve learning. Candidate must have an abiding belief and passionate commitment to the value and need for arts education in all children’s lives.
The AIE Administrator should:
- Hold 3-5 years of experience in arts administration, education program administration or other relevant experience
- Possess a collegial and collaborative spirit, display flexibility and prioritize effectively
- Demonstrate the capacity to work effectively with co-directors, collaborate with staff, and oversee the operational and financial well-being of a program
- Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrate knowledge of and the ability to work fluidly with technology including MS Office Suite with advanced Excel skills, social media, and web design tools
- Knowledge of grant reporting systems is a plus, as is experience writing successful grant proposals
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES: Program management (50%):
- Establishes goals, program objectives, and operational plans with the Directors and staff
- Reviews and evaluates the performance of AIE, measures performance against key objectives, and takes steps necessary to improve performance
- Maintains communication with AIE partner staff, school staff, and teaching artists to ensure integrity of and support for the program
- Oversees and facilitates programming changes based on feedback and input from school staff, artists and program staff
Grants Management (25%):
- Manages all aspects of the school grant application and panel review process
- Collaborates with the YA Development staff to complete grant-related requirements including grant writing, reporting, budgeting, and evaluation
Marketing and Outreach (20%):
- Represents the AIE Residency Program to the public through relationships with teachers, school administrators, teaching artists, funders, and schools communities
- Oversees, plans and implements events including professional development for teaching artists and teachers, and technical assistance workshops
- Collaborates with the YA Marketing Director and NJSCA Communications Staff for marketing and outreach efforts
- Manages social media, web content, email marketing (Mail Chimp); responsible for building out web content over the coming 2-3 years
- Represents AIE as needed in statewide partnerships and arts education initiatives
Financial Oversight (5%):
- Collaborates with YA Finance Director to ensure the adequacy and integrity of the financial operations of AIE including stewardship of donor and state grant dollars
- This is a 40-hour per week salaried position which offers paid vacation time, generous paid holidays, medical benefits, 401K and a flexible work environment
- Salary range: low to mid $40s, commensurate with experience
- A car and driver’s license and the ability to travel to schools in New Jersey; mileage is reimbursed
- This position is based in Trenton, with frequent field work and offsite meetings
Young Audiences New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome employees and prospective employees without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Michele Russo, President & CEO of YA, by email to: [email protected] with the subject line: AIE Administrator. No phone calls please. Deadline for applications is April 6th.