Transforming Learning Through Chinese Theatre
Though the use of Chinese Theatre, this professional learning supports teachers to discover the benefits and possibilities for using puppetry as a creative teaching and learning strategy. Teachers will gain an understanding of how and when puppetry can be used to 1) support a positive classroom culture, 2) introduce curriculum topics, 3) enhance creativity, and 4) inspire student reflection and discussion. Teachers will identify how simple paper, found object and shadow puppets can fill their lessons with awe, wonder and surprises, while also provide stimulating ways to foster creativity and increase student engagement and motivation.
In-Person or Virtual
- Arts Specialists
- use their imagination to improvise the creation of three puppets (paper, found object, shadow.)
- discover ways to increase student engagement by creating a relaxed, supportive and loving virtual classroom atmosphere.
- discover creative teaching strategies that evoke play and exploration.
- establish an understanding of how the elements of Chinese Puppet Theatre enhance visual literacy, including viewpoint, movement, vocal tone, and light and shadow.
- understand how to use puppets to help increase and improve classroom discussions.
- identify ways to use paper, found objects and shadow to facilitate the learning process.
- use simple materials to create an abstract or representational puppet.
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Creating; Anchor Standard 1: Conceptualizing & Generating Ideas
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Responding; Anchor Standard 7: Perceiving and Analyzing Products
- Culturally Responsive Practice
- Social Emotional Learning
Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- Standard 3: Equity & Culture
Price & Info
Workshop Cost per Day: $375 (90 minute session) $600 (3 hour session) $1200 (6 hour session)
Travel Fee: $75 per day (virtual and on-demand programs are not charged for travel)
Program Length: up to 6 hrs
Workshop Minimum # of Days: 1-3
Appropriate For Grade(s): Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd