Hip Hop Culture Empowers Student Writing and Communication
Type: Professional Learning
Program Availability: In-Person, Virtual
In this professional learning program Baba Bomani will support teachers to be able to use aspects of hip-hop art and culture to create an engaging learning environment. This active workshop will guide teachers to lead rhyme-based strategies to build student writing and communication skills using the five steps of the Writing Process (pre-writing, drafting, revising, editing, publishing).
In-Person or Virtual
- Engage with the history of the hip-hop element of breakdancing and MC’ing
- Learn how to count bars in music through the art of breakdancing.
- Analyze the similarities and differences between essay writing and songwriting.
- Understand how to use “call and response” as a hip-hop educational tool.
- Apply techniques for improving writing skills.
- Integrate strategies for increasing vocabulary through creating rhymes.
- Employ techniques for rearranging or “remixing” sentences to fit the required style and format.
- Identify strategies to meet the needs of students with differing learning styles.
- Plan strategies to create a safe space for creative students.
- Apply aspects of hip-hop art and culture to create an engaging learning environment.
- Lead rhyme-based strategies to build students skills in and appreciation of writing and communication.
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Creating; Anchor Standard 1: Conceptualizing & Generating Ideas
- Artistic Process: Connecting; Anchor Standard 11: Relating artistic ideas and works within societal, cultural, and historical context to deepen understanding.
- Culturally Responsive Practices
Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- Standard 3: Equity & Culture
- Standard 4: Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment
Price & Info
Workshop Cost per Day: $560.00 (90 minute session)
Additional Fees: In-Person Program Travel Fee - $95 per day; Virtual Program Technology Fee - $45; (On-Demand programs are not charged travel or tech fees)
Audience Limit: 25 participants per session
Program Length: 90 minutes
Workshop Minimum # of Days: 1
Appropriate For Grade(s): 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th