Finding your Center: Found Object Mandalas
In this professional learning program participants will learn ways to create ephemeral “mandalas” out of found objects. A mandala means “circle,” and is created by making concentric patterns around a centralized point -“an integrated structure organized around a unified center.” Hands-on art-making experiences will encourage an understanding of patterns, sequence, symmetry, shapes and sorting, as well support a mindful practice of utilizing materials to create meditative art, while encouraging creative practices to establish and sustain positive relationships, and cooperative and constructive participation.
In-Person or Virtual
- Visual Arts Specialists
- Principals and Supervisors
- experience the joy of creating mandalas.
- create mandalas from natural and found objects.
- create a temporary work of art that includes patterns.
- discuss how creating mandalas supports mathematical and social development.
- observe & discuss an understanding of patterns, sequencing, symmetry, shapes sorting.
- discuss ways in which the child learns through play and exploration.
- collaborate with colleagues to make connection to current goals.
- gain access to resources for creating mandalas alongside children.
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Creating; Anchor Standard 1: Conceptualizing & Generating Ideas
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Responding; Anchor Standard 7: Perceiving and Analyzing Products
- Social Emotional Learning
Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- Standard 4: Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment
Price & Info
Workshop Cost per Day: $375 (90 minute session) $600 (3 hour session) $1200 (6 hour session)
Travel Fee: $75 per day (virtual and on-demand programs are not charged for travel)
Program Length: 90 minute session
Workshop Minimum # of Days: 1-3
Appropriate For Grade(s): Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd
SEL: Social Emotional Learning