Creative Strategies for Assessment
Through hands-on creative strategies, participants learn how to plan and implement visual art and reflective experiences that serve as assessments for and of learning. Participants will work on connecting formative and summative assessment practices with their existing learning intentions and curriculum. Artistic practices will serve as opportunities for designing assessments that draw on student interests, while elevating student preferences for how they want to express and share knowledge and learning.
In-Person or Virtual
- Arts Specialists
- Be introduced to the creative teaching strategies used for formative and summative assessment.
- Engage with the work of Donna Kay Beattie’s Assessment in Art Education.
- Experience creative strategies grounded in visual art and mindful reflection.
- Identify 1-2 strategies to include in your teaching and learning practice.
- Art for All: Universal Design for Learning with Liz Byron
- Beattie, D. K. (1997). Assessment in Art Education. Art Education in Practice Series. Davis Publications, Inc.
- Byron, L. (2018). Art for all: Planning for variability in the visual arts classroom.
- Chardin, M., & Novak, K. (2021). Equity by design: Delivering on the power and promise of UDL.
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Creating; Anchor Standard 1: Conceptualizing & Generating Ideas
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Responding
- Anchor Standard 7: Perceiving and Analyzing Products
- Culturally Responsive Practice
- Social Emotional Learning-Transformative
Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- Standard 4: Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
Price & Info
Workshop Cost per Day: $$375 (90 minute session) $600 (3 hour session)
Travel Fee: $75 per day (virtual and on-demand programs are not charged for travel)
Program Length: up to 3 hrs
Workshop Minimum # of Days: 1
Appropriate For Grade(s): Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
SEL: Social Emotional Learning