Hip Hop Culture Empowers Student Writing and Communication – Virtual Professional Learning
NOTE: Virtual programs are not charged a travel fee.
In this virtual professional learning program Baba Bomani will support teachers to be able to use aspects of hip-hop art and culture to create an engaging learning environment. This active workshop will guide teachers to lead rhyme-based strategies to build student writing and communication skills using the five steps of the Writing Process (pre-writing, drafting, revising, editing, publishing).
- engage with the history of the hip-hop element of breakdancing and MC’ing
- learn how to count bars in music through the art of breakdancing.
- analyze the similarities and differences between essay writing and songwriting.
- understand how to use “call and response” as a hip-hop educational tool.
- apply techniques for improving writing skills.
- integrate strategies for increasing vocabulary through creating rhymes.
- employ techniques for rearranging or “remixing” sentences to fit the required style and format.
- identify strategies to meet the needs of students with differing learning styles.
- plan strategies to create a safe space for creative students.
- apply aspects of hip-hop art and culture to create an engaging learning environment.
- lead rhyme-based strategies to build students skills in and appreciation of writing and communication.
- NJSLS-VPA: Artistic Process; Creating; Anchor Standard 1: Conceptualizing & Generating Ideas
- Artistic Process: Connecting; Anchor Standard 11: Relating artistic ideas and works within societal, cultural, and historical context to deepen understanding.
- Culturally Responsive Practices
Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
- Standard 3: Equity & Culture
- Standard 4: Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment
Price & Info
Workshop Cost per Day: $560 (90 minute session)
Travel Fee: $75 per day (virtual programs are not charged for travel)
Program Length: 90 minutes
Workshop Minimum # of Days: 1-2
Appropriate For Grade(s): 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th