Join the YA Team as a Development Associate!
Young Audiences Arts for Learning New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania’s (YA) mission is to inspire young people and expand their learning through the arts. We envision a future in which all students have the opportunity to engage in quality arts learning that nurtures creativity, cultural awareness, and the development of critical thinking and learning skills.
Since its founding in 1973, YA has grown into the region’s largest and most comprehensive arts in education organization. Last year, YA presented programs to over 400,000 students and teachers in over 500 schools throughout NJ and Eastern PA.
Young Audiences values and embraces diversity in all ways. We strive to remove the barriers to arts participation for students.
The Development Associate supports fundraising activities of Young Audiences New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania including corporate, government, foundation, and individual giving. The efforts support the annual and long-term organizational goals of the Board of Trustees. The Development Associate reports directly to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement and serves as part of the development team, with involvement in all aspects of the fundraising process. The Development Associate must have an abiding belief in the value and necessity of the arts as an essential component of childrens’ education.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Planning, coordinating, and writing all grant requests and reports (50%)
- Monitoring grant deadlines, requirements, and reporting schedules, submitting approximately 90 proposals, reports, and letters of intent annually
- Drafting all proposals and reports, working with education staff to collect relevant project information, and gathering all support materials and attachments
- Identifying and researching new funding prospects locally, regionally, and nationally
- Participating in quarterly budget meetings for each grant-funded project with finance director and project managers to ensure grant requirements are being met
- Coordinating program documentation, stories, photographs/video, and testimonials to support grant applications and reports
- Coordinating individual donor communications (25%)
- Preparing and sending 3-5 annual mailings to donors
- Processing and receipting all donations accurately
- Completing weekly donation reporting to finance director
- Maintaining development database and file records
- Writing and sending fundraising e-blasts and monthly email newsletter to donors in Constant Contact
- Collaborating with staff to plan and implement annual fundraising gala/event (15%)
- Processing all event ticket purchases and confirming with guests
- Managing all raffle ticket purchases, mailing tickets to buyers, and tracking all ticket sales for reporting purposes
- Coordinating thank you process to all donors and sponsors post-event
- Training and managing all volunteers during the gala
- Assisting in coordinating night of event logistics
- Supporting the Vice President in managing development functions (10%)
- Strategizing funding sources to support the organization’s programs and initiatives
- Developing strategies that enhance philanthropic support, including cultivation and stewardship
- Assisting with management of trustee relations and participating in development related board committees
- Maintaining accurate records and supporting the Finance Director during the audit process
- 3+ years experience in grant writing.
- Fundraising, arts education and/or arts administration experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively—both verbally and written—with individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work fluidly with technology including MS Office Suite; donor management software, Constant Contact and Adobe.
- Deadline driven, inherent desire to set and achieve goals; persistent and consistent efforts are keys to success in this role.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills to track progress on multiple initiatives, provide timely follow up, and complete tasks in accordance with project timelines.
- This position is based in Princeton, with occasional travel to offsite meetings.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range: $43,000-$47,000
- YA offers a generous benefits package, including: 401K with employer match, excellent medical benefits, dental and vision benefits, generous paid time off, and life insurance.
- YA offers a flexible and supportive work environment where creative collaboration and shared learning are highly valued.
Young Audiences New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome employees and prospective employees without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, age, (dis)ability, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Candidates should submit a cover letter expressing their interest, and resume to VP for Institutional Advancement Ann Betterton by email to: [email protected] with the subject line: Development Associate. No phone calls please. Application deadline April 10, 2020. Anticipated start mid-May.