We’re Hiring: Join the Team as Development and Special Events Manager!
About Young Audiences
Young Audiences Arts for Learning New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania’s (YA) mission is to inspire young people and expand their learning through the arts. YA’s professional teaching artists deliver residencies, workshops, performances, teacher professional learning, and family programs to PK-12th grade students, their teachers, and their families.
Since its founding in 1973, YA has grown into the region’s most comprehensive arts in education organization. In a typical year, YA programs reach approximately 350,000 students in our region. In March of 2020, YA began offering programs and services through virtual platforms. YA is continuing to provide programs in all schooling formats including in person, and virtual.
All YA staff must have an abiding belief in arts education and the critical role teaching artists play in education. Young Audiences values and embraces social and racial equity and inclusiveness. We strive to remove barriers to arts participation for students and engage with the intersectionality of the communities we serve. Learn more about YA’s commitments to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access here.
Position Summary—Development and Special Events Manager
Young Audiences seeks a results-driven and detail oriented fundraising professional to join our dynamic development team. A hallmark of YA is exceptional donor relations and stewardship of grant funding. This opportunity offers the candidate a comprehensive experience in institutional fundraising, working with a well-respected and successful development team.
The Development & Special Events Manager supports all fundraising activities of YA including corporate, government, foundation, individual giving, and special events. The efforts are coordinated with the annual and long-term organizational goals of the Board of Trustees. The manager reports directly to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, and works closely with the grant writer and the marketing and social media manager.
Coordinate individual donor communications
- Prepare and send 3-5 annual mailings to donors
- Process all donations accurately in donor database (Donor Perfect), complete weekly donation reporting for finance director
- Maintain development database and file records
- Coordinate with designer to write and send fundraising e-blasts and monthly email newsletter to donors in Constant Contact
Support grant writing and reporting
- Identify and research new funding prospects locally, regionally, and nationally
- Assist staff to gather relevant programmatic documentation and assessment data
- Assist with collecting program documentation, such as stories, photographs/video, and testimonials that bolster grant applications and reports
Board and donor relations
- Provide support for campaigns, such as the 50th anniversary (2022-2023)
- Develop strategies that enhance philanthropic support, including cultivation and stewardship.
- Assist with trustee relations and participate in development related board committees
Special Events (35%)
Coordinate YA’s hallmark annual gala, Dazzle
- As the key point person for all aspects of Dazzle, a dancing-with-the stars themed gala, the development and special events manager is deeply involved in setting the event up for success.
- Work with board, staff, and committee to achieve fundraising goals through multiple revenue streams such as sponsorships, tickets, raffle, live auction, etc.
- Coordinate event details, including venue logistics, AV coordination, lighting, sound, catering, and decorations to present a polished and highly professional event.
- Act as liaison to artists performing and vendors.
- Contract and negotiate with all event vendors and contractors.
- Support the design, printing, and distribution of all event marketing materials such as save the date postcards, invitations, raffle flyers, ad journal, and event signage.
- Manage the gala website to maximize fundraising.
- Manage the mailing of the invitations to 1,200 households.
- Manage the reply process, processing and receipting all donations.
- Coordinate with graphic designer to create, manage, and implement event’s social media strategy and email campaign.
- Collaborate with marketing staff in the creation of photo and video content to leverage for marketing.
Coordinate small-scale fundraising-related special events (in-person and virtual), including:
- 50th anniversary events: celebrations, thank you events, etc.
- Annual Meeting and Celebration (June)
- Quarterly board meetings and the annual board/staff retreat (February)
Contribute to YA Initiatives (10%)
- Participate in Young Audiences’ ongoing efforts to improve in relation to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access, according to YA’s Arts United Plan
- Participate in Young Audiences’ other initiatives as needed
- 3 years’ experience in fundraising and event planning
- Arts education and/or arts administration experience preferred
- Experience integrating anti-bias, anti-oppression, anti-racist practices into fundraising preferred
Competencies & Commitments
Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively—both verbally and written—with individuals from a variety of backgrounds. Respect, care, and consideration for donor relationships is essential
Adaptability: Manage multiple tasks and shift gears quickly due to ebb and flow of the day
Organization and planning: Attention to detail, time management, strong organization skills, and a commitment to complete tasks in accordance with project timelines
Consistency: Deadline-driven with an inherent desire to set and achieve goals; persistent and consistent efforts are keys to success in this role
Collaboration: Eagerness to work with others and share resources in a supportive work environment where creative collaboration and shared learning are highly valued
Fluency with technology: Ability to work fluidly with technology including MS Office Suite, Teams, Google Docs, Zoom, and donor management software
Alignment with values and mission: An abiding belief in arts education and understanding of the critical role that artists have in education. Understanding of the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion and access in arts education, and the relevant potential for students’ creative experience
Compensation and Benefits
- Application Deadline: July 8, 2022
- Approximate Start Date: August 1, 2022
- 40 Hours/Week: Full Time Exempt Position
- Salary Range: Low to Mid $50s
- YA offers a benefits package including: 401K with employer match, individual medical benefits at no charge to employee, dental and vision benefits, generous paid time off, FSA and life insurance
YA office hours are 8:30-4:30, M-F. YA is primarily working remotely at this time, with plans to return to a hybrid work environment involving in person work in our Princeton office The ability to travel to schools and events within our service region of New Jersey and Eastern PA is required. Mileage is reimbursed.
YA has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy for employees and safety protocols for in-person work at the YA office, schools, and event venues.
Young Audiences New Jersey & Eastern Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diverse perspectives and experiences and welcome employees and prospective employees without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender or gender expression, age, disability, marital or domestic partnership status, family status or structure, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Due to the local and regional nature of our work, out of region candidates will not be considered. Candidates should submit a cover letter expressing their interest, and resume to Ann Betterton, VP of Institutional Advancement, by email to: [email protected] with the subject line Development and Special Events Manager. No phone calls please. Application Deadline: July 8, 2022